Wednesday 14 November 2012

A Classic's Challenge: November Prompt


We're ready for the month's prompt from November's Autumn. Here we go.

One of the books I
immensely enjoyed.
Of all the Classics you've read this year is there an author or movement that has become your new favorite?
New favourite? Well, I have always loved Dumas, so I guess it's not a “new” favourite, but I've been enjoying more books from him, namely The Three Musketeers and Twenty Years After. I'd like to say also that I like Victor Hugo's Les Miserables, long as it is.

Which book did you enjoy the most?
I immensely enjoyed Three Musketeers and Twenty Years After. I also enjoyed Ivanhoe, but not as much as the former two.

Or were baffled by?
I'm a little baffled by Ivan Denisovich. It's my first time reading Russian literature, and even now I haven't written its review. I don't know where to start. I mean, it's truly only a day of Ivan's life, but the book has very intense air and so long for a diary.

The best character of my choice, Athos
Who's the best character?
I don't need to think twice – Athos, aka Comte de la Ferre. He is a wonderful character – with flaws. Just perfect, for me. If I could marry a fictional character, I would marry him. (In two months time, my favourite will change, trust me.)

The most exasperating?
Thernadier in Les Miserables. He's more than annoying – he's unbearable!

From reading other participants' posts which book do you plan to read and are most intrigued by?
Margaret's post mentions Tale of Two Cities by Dickens. I think I'm going to read it next year. This year's reading is too much already.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read Twenty Years After - in fact I didn't know it existed! I must read it next year as I loved The Three Musketeers when I read it years ago.

    I agree completely about Thernadier - so cruel!

    I hope you enjoy A Tale of Two Cities when you get round to it next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do! Please read it. It's a beautiful sappy work of art.

      Yes, I think I will read A Tale of Two Cities next year, but not yet sure when exactly. Thanks for your support.

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to tackling Les Mis - maybe next year.
    I readThe Three Musketeers years ago but honestly don't remember more than the basic story. I should probably do a reread.

    ReplyDelete