Saturday 19 May 2012

Weekend Quote #2



'Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.'

This quote comes from Tolkien's Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship ot the Ring. Frodo said this after meeting an elf and asking him for counsel, but the elf said “both no and yes”. The elf replied that giving counsel is a serous matter, and a wise person should always be careful when giving one.

I agree with that. Giving counsel or advice is a serious business. If the person takes our advice and later it proves to be wrong, don't we have the share of responsibility in that mistake? It's sometimes better to give “both no and yes” answer, especially if the counsel is given for crucial decisions or other important issues. How?

Instead of saying “you should do this” or “you shouldn't do that”, we should let the person choose for himself. We can give the strenghts and weaknesses of each option possible, and weigh those options. Thus we can help him to make his own decision, instead of choosing for him. It's way better for both the advisor and the one asking for advice, don't you think?


6 comments:

  1. Listra, this is the link of my WQ: http://klasikfanda.blogspot.com/2012/05/weekend-quote-2-color-purple.html

    I see that the links from last week is still in the linky, you're supposed to delete the links first, every week before posting your WQ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay. Thanks for the suggestion. I will make a new linky for it next week. (I didn't really know how this linky work, that is.)

      Delete
  2. Great idea, Listra. I've had a phrase rumbling around for days and have been thinking of posting it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please. Join us this weekend. I am looking forward to see the quote you choose.

      Delete
  3. I love your idea of a weekend quote, and this one from LOTR is great. I ardently wished I were an elf for ages after reading Tolkien's series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true. I sometimes imagine being immortal and being able to do anything without the slightest consideration of my life-time.

      Thanks, and please join the Weekend Quote if you have time.

      Delete